Hi there! We all know how unstable SEO industry and Google search engine ranking factors are, as each day passes by. Within a year lots of stuff change and if you are somehow involved with SEO or you are a business owner who uses this traffic, lead generation and sales marketing channel you ought to stay up to date with all types of changes.
Backlinko made a thorough and comprehensive post about 2016 seo ranking factors after analyzing and researching one million results. Bookmark this case study findings and refer back to it whenever you need to as a general source for the current time being in SEO industry.
1. Backlinks remain an extremely important Google ranking factor. We found the number of domains linking to a page correlated with rankings more than any other factor.
2. Our data also shows that a site’s overall link authority (as measured by Ahrefs Domain Rating) strongly correlates with higher rankings.
3. We discovered that content rated as “topically relevant” (via MarketMuse), significantly outperformed content that didn’t cover a topic in-depth. Therefore, publishing focused content that covers a single topic may help with rankings.
4. Based on SERP data from SEMRush, we found that longer content tends to rank higher in Google’s search results. The average Google first page result contains 1,890 words.
5. HTTPS had a reasonably strong correlation with first page Google rankings. This wasn’t surprising as Google has confirmed HTTPS as a ranking signal.
6. Despite the buzz around Schema, our data shows that use of Schema markup doesn’t correlate with higher rankings.
7. Content with at least one image significantly outperformed content without any images. However, we didn’t find that adding additional images influenced rankings.
8. We found a very small relationship between title tag keyword optimization and ranking. This correlation was significantly smaller than we expected, which may reflect Google’s move to Semantic Search.
9. Site speed matters. Based on data from Alexa, pages on fast-loading sites rank significantly higher than pages on slow-loading sites.
10. Despite Google’s many Penguin updates, exact match anchor text appears to have a strong influence on rankings.
11. Using data from SimilarWeb, we found that low bounce rate was associated with higher Google rankings.
Use this info to your advantage and update tour seo strategies for your sites and your clients’ sites. Read a lengthier explanation of the above key points here. Keep in mind these are just the basic factors.
Joanna Vaiou is a Corporate SEO expert and Self Growth - Life enthusiast from Athens, Greece. Website: http://www.JoannaVaiou.com